Lost Soul in a flat and sky-filled land with nothing to protect me but an M.A.

Monday, June 19, 2006

1st Day of School

Remember when you were in elementary school and after what seemed like a far too short summer it was finally the first day of school, again. That was how I felt (besides the fact that the Kingston Archaeological Centre is located in what used to be a very small elementary school). I could barely sleep last night, waking up every two hours before actually having to get up at 7AM. Upon climbing out of bed and showering, I frantically picked out an outfit (something I had being thinking about all weekend and still hadn't decided on). I couldn't help remembering all the studies I have read about first impressions being the key, and that people begin forming opinions and judgments of someone in a matter of 30 seconds after meeting them. After finally choosing a professional and stylish but grubby/dig-worthy outfit I headed out the door with butterflies in my stomach.

In my nervous state, I missed my turn and almost got lost on the way there. All I could think was, "please don't let me be late". When I arrived I felt like I was lost again because I had no idea of where I was to go or what I would be doing. A very nice girl showed me around again, explained a little more about the camp I would be leading then left me to read about the history and past archaeological work done on the site I will be excavating. After reading all morning, and figuring out many of the quirks of Ontario historic archaeology (for instance, the term 'lot') I had two people inform me that it was lunch time.

Now, the prepared person I am had actually brought a lunch with me but left it in the car and was now considering not stopping to eat since the food was in the car, and the door beeps when you leave, and I didn't want people to think I was taking off, and my lunch was so silly because of my eating restrictions I figured people would think I was weird................. (Denise you know what I mean). Then I began to worry that everyone would think I was a snob if I didn't go eat with them so I went into the lunch room like a lamb to the slaughter. Or perhaps more like an embarrassed dog, tail between my legs, trying not to make any sudden movements as I creep into the room and ask I if could have a cup of coffee. Wow, am I shy.

Smiling and nodding as other people conversed over lunch, I eventually began to wonder how to leave a situation like that (I had no idea how long lunch was supposed to be so I tried to gauge it by leaving when the last person who had invited me to lunch left). After ending that awkward situation I went to watch the really old videos we are supposed to show to the kids during camp. One was all about archives (it was very bizarre), and the other was the CARF excavation of Fort Frontenac. Once that was finished I began to run through the first and last camp days schedule with the other girl I will be working with. She seems friendly, but young (funny thing, she can't eat gluten or lactose either).

Next thing I know it is 4:30, everyone is leaving and apparently my watch is like 23 minutes slow. Relieved that the first day is over, I am now starting to worry that they will make fun of me tonight when they're drunk watching the hockey game together. I know it's silly, they have better things to talk about than me, but you can't help but wonder what's in-store for tomorrow. By the way, we don't actually start digging until the 10th of July.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just because I make fun of you while drunk and watching hockey doesn't mean everyone does.

D

3:54 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. you're just as bad as i am! sounds like you did pretty well, though. you didn't call anyone by the wrong name, you were not late, you didn't have verbal diarrhea, all things that would happen to many other people;-P besides since you were smiling they all love you already, they didn't have a fighting chance;-)))))

4:39 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you were dressed!! That is the main thing, although you can work topless in Ontario you know! I know how hot it can get ;0

-bling bling-

6:50 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blingblign, don't give her ideas!

7:25 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh verbal diarrhea. I get that around MK all the time. It is a really good thing that I am not a spy.

Carrie, you are very likable, do not worry.

D

9:32 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

D is right! You are likeable! I like you and I don't like anyone:) But seriously, you worked hard and you didn't lose your keys or break anything-seems like a great start to me.
-CP

1:31 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home